22 September 2015

Hawaii Part 1 - Exploring Maui Island


Aloha

Hawaii had been on my list to visit for a long time, however the lengthy plane ride is what kept me from going sooner. I am a terrible flyer and anything over a seven hour flight had me feeling a little panicked. I am not sure why!

I am so glad I stepped out of my flying comfort zone and did it though - Hawaii is truly beautiful and a holiday for all ages that I think everyone would love. It was a nine hour flight from Brisbane, flying direct.

We jetsetted off for two weeks, dividing our time between:
- Kaanapali on Maui Island for 5 nights
- Haleiwa, The North Shore Oahu for 3 nights
- Waikiki, Oahu for 5 nights

My Hubby and I are the sort of travellers who cannot sit still, we are not the type to laze by a pool for a week, we like to get out and see things! So we visited two islands in the two weeks. It was brilliant!

I have had lots of lovely readers asking me where I stayed, what I did and top picks, so I thought I would share with you my Hawaii trip, breaking it up into 3 parts - Maui, The North Shore and Waikiki (as there is lots to share about all of these places)! 

There is something for everyone in Hawaii. Truly!

So, let me share with you some of my highlights, observations and experiences of Hawaii over the next three posts. There is alot to see, do and explore! 


________

We travelled to Hawaii late August, which meant it was the last days of Summer in Hawaii. The locals kept commenting that it was the hottest end of Summer they have ever experienced, with the humidity up around 100%. Most days were around 35 degrees and the water temperature was a balmy 27 degrees. It was my kind of holiday!

Landing at 7:30am, the first thing we did was change from our Brisbane Winter 'plane' clothes into something a little lighter. It was already 30 degrees and the humidity was stifling! I would recommend packing light summer clothes into your carry on luggage and doing the same, boy is it hot!

We flew direct to Honolulu International Airport and then made our way to the Inter Island Airport for our next flight to Maui. The plane was a propeller plane and we glided over the islands, with the most magnificent view for 40 minutes before touching down at Kahului Airport. 

If you want to experience the best of Maui, I would recommend a hire car. It gives you the freedom to see the sights at your leisure. It was the first time for us, driving on the right hand side of the road and trust me, we had a few giggles when we first got into the car. Navigating out of the airport we were met with a four way intersection which was kinds interesting and a roundabout - then we were followed by a Police car for a few blocks, so that put the pressure on Hubby!

We drove approx. 40 minutes to Maui's west coast to the resort town of Kaanapali. As we had heard that the sunsets over the water were gorgeous and the beaches and snorkelling were great. We were not disappointed! We had booked a private condo, via VRBO here which was better than perfect - amazing views, newly renovated and extras like beach umbrellas and chairs! 

Kaanapali has a string of beachfront resorts and shopping village, safe beaches and lots of restaurants and eating options.  Most nights we just strolled along the beach path until we saw a restaurant that we liked, dined with the sunset and walked along the beach home. It was bliss!


________
EAT
The Hula Grill was a favourite for us. You could dine at the barefoot bar, on the sand or in the restaurant for a fancier sit down meal. The service was great, the food fresh and there was always live music!

Island Vintage Coffee in the Whaler Village was great value for breakfast, lunch or coffee. The breakfast bagels were 11USD and jam packed, even with a side salad. The shrimp salad was the best prawn salad I have ever eater and it set me back about 15USD. 
__________
STAY 
Any of the beachfront resorts are great, however some are more suited to being family friendly than others with big pools and water activities. Shop around and also look into private condo rentals as you will save heaps!
__________
WHAT TO DO
The beaches along the west coast are quite safe for swimming and snorkelling. We enjoyed swimming around the famous Black Rock, where we saw turtles and plenty of tropical fish. It is an easy snorkel, we didn't have fins, only masks and there were kids and people of all ages enjoying the calm protected waters. 

There are plenty of water activities like jet-skiing and para-sailing, as well as sunset cruises if you want to get out and about on the water. 

A short 3 minute drive away is the historic town of Lahaina, where the main street runs alongside the ocean. There are cute shops, galleries and also outlet shopping if you feel like wandering the shops. 


We drove about 20 minutes north of Kaanapali to Honolua Bay to snorkel in a protected Bay. We saw two turtles, lots of coral and tropical fish. There is no sand at the bay, only rocks so not great if you want to laze on a beach. There is a beautiful rainforest walk to access the bay though, with the most beautiful fig trees.


Kaanapali Beach
Honolua Bay
Rainforest walk to Honolua Bay

Kaanapali Beach - sunset
 Kaanapali Beach

Kaanapali Beach - Whalers Village
__________
THE ROAD TO HANA
A must see if you visit Maui. The road to Hana is a windy road that hugs cliffs, waterfalls and rainforest with 54 one way bridges and over 300 S bends to the east coast. It is a beautiful drive and a great way to see some of Hawaii's best rainforest and waterfalls.

My tips 

Stock up with plenty of food and drinks before you embark on the trip. We stopped at Kuau Store in Paia and were like kids in a candy store - fresh made sandwiches, wraps, juices,cakes, organic fruit platters and snacks. We spent about $30USD and filled our cooler bag with goodness.
Also fill your car with fuel, as there are no fuel stops along the way!

If you are driving and not on a tour, hire a small car as the road is very windy and narrow making it difficult to pass in some areas.

Leave early in the morning, as it is a long day once you factor in all the stops.

If you have ever driven Victoria's Great Ocean Road, I would say this drive is similar. You will be in and out of the car like a yoyo as there are lots of things to see. The road doesn't look that long, but it is windy, slow and you have to drive back along the same road to get back to your starting point. There is no highway or freeway detour to just zoom home! You do not want to be driving on this road in the dark.

Take a camera! There are many great photo opportunities of the beach, rainforest, waterfalls and cliffs. You wont want to miss capturing the memories.

Take your swimmers and a change of clothes. We stopped and swam in many waterfalls and creeks, so take a towel and swimmers. Once you start climbing to the higher peaks and rainforest, it is likely it will rain. Take a change of clothes in case you get caught out!

We left our west coast condo about 8am, arriving home about 5pm that evening. It is a long day with lots of windy, slow driving, so a tour may be better suited if you don't want to be behind the wheel all day.


I was so excited to go to a store and have a bag of food in a brown paper bag - just like the movies! This is Kuau store.
 Road to Hana waterfalls
 Road to Hana - amazing tropical rainforest
 Road to Hana - the roadside stops along the way


__________
Haleakala National Park and the Crater

The Road to Hana and Haleakala Crater were the two drawcards for us in visiting Maui. I would say they are the top two sights to see for tourists visiting Maui. We had been told that watching the sunrise appear out of the clouds, 10,000 feet up in the sky over an extinct volcano was one of the most surreal experiences. 

Unfortunately, with Hurricanes off the coast of Hawaii during our stay the weather was not on our side. We were awake and ready three times at 3:30am during our five nights on Maui trying to catch the sunrise, however with flash flooding, road closures and lots of rain it disappointingly didn't happen for us. On the last day, we went anyway driving in horrendous conditions to the top of the Crater, where we were met by Ranger Steve who told us the lightning had just struck down the Visitor Information Centre just a couple of hundred meters ahead. So there we were in our hire car, in the rain, 10,000ft up in the sky being told to turn around. We were bummed!

My tips 

We left our west coast condo about 3:30am to allow for the sunrise. Obviously nature had other intentions for us that day - but best to leave early and beat the rush or cars as it is a slow and windy road in the dark climbing to 10,000ft and you don't want to be rushing.


Take warm clothes, as it gets cold up there!

Take some light breaky with you in the car as there is not much to eat that early in the morning!

__________

Maui for us was the highlight of the trip. We were so relaxed and loved the laidback beach vibe. Lazy afternoons on the beach were my favourite....oh take me back!

I hope you enjoyed this insights into our Maui island adventure. I will be back with Part 2 (The North Shore) and Part 3 (Waikiki) in the coming days, so stay posted.

As always, I encourage you to jump on in to the comments and share or ask away – if there’s anything I can help with, I would be happy to!

And before I go, don’t forget to share this post around the webs using the buttons below. Maybe there is someone you know heading to Hawaii?

Aloha x
 
Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP

14 comments :

  1. Oh wow, what a great recap - fabulous tips and beautiful photos! It looks just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah - its truly the most beautiful place. I can't wait to share The North Shore & Waikiki with you all x

      Delete
  2. We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon a long, long time ago; and one of the biggest highlights for us was a day trip to Maui and driving the road to Hana in an open top jeep. It was so beautiful, and you've captured it beautifully. I'd love to go back one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the road to Hana and an open roof jeep, we saw many people doing that and it looked like fun! I will be back one day for sure, maybe to a different island this time though. Thanks for stopping by xx

      Delete
  3. I love that you aren't the kind of people to just sit by a pool, because neither are we! If I'm on holiday, I want to see it all!
    It looks amazing, and the weather sounds blissful. Oh to be that hot for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sat by the pool for about an hour, that was enough for me! I think I have FOMO and must see everything haha! The weather was bliss but it was hard to readjust when coming home here - yesterday we had a nice surprise and it was 28 today back to 21 degrees! thanks for the link up x

      Delete
  4. Wow wow wow! Those photos are amazing. I've been to Hawaii once, but it was just an over nighter. We only had time to laze on the beach at Waikiki. I'd love to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was planning a long haul trip I would definitely do a stopover in Hawaii - great place to relax and unwind and get into holiday mode! Thanks Renee, I didn't want to overload the post with too many photos but there are so many more I would have loved to share - the trouble is that Hawaii is just so beautiful! I will be back one day for sure x

      Delete
  5. We went on an epic 4 month honeymoon and stopped at Oahu and Maui! We stayed in Kanaapali too and Hula Grill was one of our favourites! We'd done so much travelling by then, that we just vegged out by the beach all day, I have holiday regret now I've read your post, I never realised there was so much to do on Maui. It really is a bit of heaven on earth though, it's as close to paradise as I've ever got and that's why I loved this virtual tour so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammie - 4 months wow you lucky lady! So glad I could show you more of Maui, now you will have to go back again to see more :P Kaanapali we loved as it was so relaxed and the beach was beautiful compared to others that we saw. Hula Grill and the macadamia, crab crusted fresh fish was amazing....I could eat that everyday! I can't wait to show you my trip to OahĂș and see what you think now, would love to know where you went and spots you loved! x

      Delete
  6. Far out! I have always wanted to go to Hawaii and you just fed the beast with your gorgeous pics. One day soon I hope... one day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would LOVE it Sonia! Wait for the Aussie dollar to strengthen because it was super $$$$$. Couldn't believe how expensive it was! x

      Delete
  7. AMAZING! I would love to go to Hawaii! And I will NOT be driving, hubby can deal with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I felt the same - I just couldn't wrap my head around being on the other side of the road and how to navigate the roundabouts and intersections! At times it was a group effort though, me being the co pilot :P

      Delete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails