29 June 2013

Vertical herb garden & planter box

I would like to think I have a green thumb. But I don't. Well not with all plants anyway. Give me a palm or a tropical plant and I can make it grow, thrive and survive. Give me herbs to grow and they shrivel up and die. Instead of sacrificing a huge spot of our garden to a raised garden bed of herbs, I thought I would try my luck (again!), but doing it a little differently this time.

I have always loved gardens and admiring their shapes, forms and textures. My mums tropical garden was my inspiration when landscaping our new home in the recent months. She gave me many cuttings which are thriving and showed me how to keep them alive!

Mum's lush garden


One of my most favourite features in a garden is a vertical one. I created this vertical succulent garden about two years ago and it is finally filling out and maturing. This then inspired me to do something similar as a herb garden. I love recycling and hate to see waste, especially of building materials and love the idea of making things from wooden pallets. So a vertical herb garden was created! I mounted it to the fence, not only saving ground space for precious lawn, but breaking up and softening what was a tired looking, stark fence. The added bonus is that it is less than 10m from the kitchen, so I really have no excuse now in cooking with fresh home grown herbs. I like the rustic pallet look, but may look at staining it with a light coat of timber fence stain. But for now, I am just going to enjoy, keep up the water to the herbs and watch them grow (fingers crossed for me!).



My succulent garden






Coopar supervising the works being carried out!



The planter box in progress











Constructing the vertical garden frame








I hope you have enjoyed and that I have inspired you to test your green thumb out ;P
Xx Ashlea






2 comments :

  1. Very creative. I have an old pallet at home so i might have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing about being creative with pallets is that they are so rough and rugged, so it doesn't matter if they arnt perfect :) have fun with it! X

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails